September 28, 2014 by Hectares
Justin Gary (Stone Blade Entertainment CEO) stopped by the live coverage of The Second ForgeWatch Invitational and spoiled two user interface (UI) update preview images. These are being actively developed and now is the time to contribute feedback to make sure we get the best user experience possible. You can watch the interview highlight on Twitch for the original source of information for this article.
Leave comments at /r/SolForge/comments/2hn4iq/updated_solforge_ui.
This article is accurate to the best of my knowledge, however I take both the changing nature of the development process as well the risk of misinterpretation very seriously, and want to note that the things below are open to your feedback, so make sure you ask questions and speak up if you feel you have something to add to the conversation. This post will be updated if clarifications are necessary.
Before passing judgment on the these previews, keep in mind the images are wireframes not screenshots. So they are more like second drafts than submissions of a final paper. The designs are intended for the PC client and would be very similar on tablets; the UI for phones was not discussed.
Preview Image 1: Home
Daily quests and in-game news!
Preview Image 2: Store
More content available to purchase and a better browsing experience.
Intended UI Notes
– The previews feature four major elements: header, footer, home, and store
– Other major elements appear to be: tournaments, campaign, play, collection (a.k.a. deckbuilder), store, buy gold, profile, messages, friends, help, and settings
– Daily quest component has regular dailies and new changing ones
– Updated and more intuitive forging system
– More previews including deckbuilder planned before release
– Messages: might be renamed notifications, sounds like a 1-way communication from SBE
– Achievements: planned to be visible somewhere (possibly in profile or daily quests)
– Friends: removing recently played, making it more obvious when you do a search
– Website: small improvements planned
– Full screen / resizing: priority, still experimenting with solutions
– Performance: priority for a smooth, snappy play experience
Tabled UI Notes
– Chat: In-game chat is not planned for the coming UI update
– Timer: Controversial so no current changes planned, but actively listening to feedback on this topic as they know how important it is. Turn timer and reserve bank is mentioned as Justin Gary’s favorite option, but even this has pros and cons as well.
– Structures are more complex than is currently viable for SolForge UI to communicate effectively
– Set 5 confirmed
– Bees confirmed (and confirmed not for Set 4)
– SBE is listening to feedback about the frequency and size of card releases
– Another event with Forgemaster (all cards are available to participants during the event even if not owned) will be happening some time after the Kickstarter tourney
– Weekend Warrior has more possible formats than ever, post your suggestions to the forum; a precon deck only constructed event is planned but not possible yet
– Campaign / single player content benefits from Weekend Warrior development and other small updates
– Lore: Artbook will have lore in it (some time next year), campaign will have lore elements, website will have more lore, in-game large card view w/ flavor text planned but not coming soon
– New Feature: Being spoiled, possibly by Kibler, in the next week or so (soonTM)
Looking forward to more previews on this front as an improved UI will help to transition SolForge to the next tier of accessibility to a larger player base. Can’t wait!